Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Welcome to China

Hi Everyone!  China has been interesting.  A bit like a roller coaster.  Sometimes really high and then we hit a low.  I would love to share some of the crazy experiences with anyone who wants to hear about it. 

So the first night we arrived in Suzhou, after 17 hours of travel, our seat in economy plus being switched all around, to running to even catch the flight.  After leaving the family Sunday morning around 6am, we arrive in our new home at 7pm Monday night.  Luckily we had some nice Caterpillar family that came to the house with pizzas and young friends for the boys to play with, then we realized we had no bed to sleep on and NO covers.  So the realtor wanted to take us to find some warm blankets.  Mitch thought I could use a kid break so he suggested I go.  Well after no luck at a few stores the realtor offered up his really warm blanket and directed the taxi to my home.  Well 1 hour later, and after some time of going really slow, and the doors locked from the inside, and a really expensive cab fare, for China, I finally arrived at our home drenched from the rain, in tears, yet happy I was still alive. Mitch felt so bad and I was asleep in minutes on the couch.

Anyway, the boys both love their school.  William is full time and he was 1 of 12 Golden Boys the first week in his school assembly.  I bet he was embarrassed, but proud. 

The church here is good!  Have meet some really great people. 

It took a few weeks to get a phone I could easily text on.  Everyone textes here.  Another week after that to get a VPN to access Facebook, the same week to get the ipads to connect to the wireless, a few more weeks to find the right adaptor for the Wii and how to file down the flat iron plugs to fit into the converter.

I had four Taiwanese woman over for coffee last Friday and although they were so friendly and had great smiles, we couldn't communicate at all.  

After the first week here, Emmakate fell from a chair in our house unto our marble floor onto her head.  Once again I thought I needed to take her to the ER - I was so frantic.  She has also eaten 2 plastic spoons.  I called the pediatrician back home and she thinks it will pass. This girl is going to give me a heart attack.  Please pray that I can keep her safe from everything and the boys safe from everything I don't know about.


Last week a couple invited us to go out to dinner and then foot massages after.  I have been hearing about everyone getting foot massages and I keep wondering if it was really foot massages and what the hype was all about.  So our appointments were booked for 9pm - strange right there.  It was a place called DragonFly.  The atmosphere was really awesome, dark, water running, candles - I was a little freaked out at first though.  They take you down stairs and you sit in a comfy reclining chair.  Then the woman brings a hot tub of water to let your feet soak in then wash them.  While your feet are soaking you get a shoulder, arm and hand massage.  Then she massages your feet for a long time.  It was 60 minutes, but I could have went for the 90 minutes after I realized how good it was.  Mitch and I and the other couple were sitting next to each other with half-curtains between the chairs.  It was a strange, cool experience.  The next day I took William, 4 1/2 year old with me for an hour foot massage.  We both loved it!! 

Everyone is big runners here.  There is a 11 mile lake right out our front window and the skyline is really nice.  Everything takes a long time to figure out.

The boys dressed up for character week.  Andrew was Cat in the Hat and William was Dash from the Incredibles.  I came into Andrew's class and read 'SkippyJon Jones'. I love that book, but I crack up every time I read it.

Emmakate started nursery school today - 3 days a week for the mornings.  It sounds crazy to put a 22 month old in preschool, but there isn't a lot for her to do.

This past Sunday I was in tears because I just wanted cash after a few days with no money & that is THE form of payment here.  The atm ate my card and the woman behind the counter took my card and wouldn't give it to me until I went home and got my passport.  I said some bad words way too many times.  Hours later I felt a little bad when I found out it was our US bank trying to protect us from fraud.  Since I had experienced the China atm eating my card and a friends card on two separate occasions I figured this was a regular occurrence here.

We are planning to go to Shanghai for 3-4 days this weekend/week for spring break that is coming this weekend.  I hope it's a nice break.

All three kids have taken turns throwing up over the last week and a half, William on two occasions.  I'm thinking their stomach isn't agreeing with the food or water - who knows.

Also, I went to dinner with a friend last week to an Indian restaurant - I LOVED IT!!  I think I will be a vegetarian for life if I can have my way.  The friend picked out the best food and then she told me the secret about Shanghai - you get to custom make your own clothes!!!!  Can you believe it.  Mitch never told me this great selling point.  I guess you pick the fabric, and then can either give them pictures of what you want created or you can look through their catalogs, such as Boden, Victoria Secret, etc. and have them make it based on your exact measurements - HOW AWESOME!!!!  So China is pretty good, just figuring out the basics will take you a long time.  I'll write more soon!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! So much for you to deal with a take in! I can't imagine the experience you are having. But I have a feeling, in a few months, you'll look back at these first few weeks and laugh!! How great that you are getting out and finding lots to do! And Travis bought custom shirts and suits when he went to Hong Kong. I didn't realize they would do all clothes! VERY COOL!!! Can't wait to read more! Big hugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your news Kim. Sorry to hear you have had some troubled waters getting adjusted but like your other friend said....down the road you will be laughing about all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is just too hard & I think you and the kids should just come back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds a lot like our cab rides in the city years ago! Your stories are great.. keep them coming! If it makes you feel better.. last week I paid $270 dollars to clean my airvents after Joe decided they make a cool bathroom in the middle of the night.... took us over a week to realize why the house spelled like rotten pee when the heat kicked on! Then they tried to light the house on fire by putting dryer sheets on the light bulbs.... hope those visuals can brighten your day! Love you kiddo!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girlie. So great to hear about your adventures. Sorry that some were so frustrating, but I had no doubt that you would be able to handle yourself and get in the swing of things quickly. I can not wait to see pictures of you in your custom designed clothes. That is so you! Maybe this was a first step to your own design business ? Who knows things happen in weird ways. I can not wait to hear more.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys! I would say it has been an adventure for you over there. Before you know it, all of you will be experienced with their way of life. Hopefully Mitchs' job is doing better than all of that. I miss you all and love you so much. Even though you lived a a few states away here, I can tell that you are on the other side of the world. Love you and talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim, Mitch & Kiddos! I loved reading this! I wish I could be there to support you through all the changes and challenges. I miss you all terribly! Would you be able to send me your address? Love, Melissa Molenkamp

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim you will continue to handle everything with dignity and grace as you always have. You are creating amazing memories that will last a lifetime. We are all here for you and are proud of the strength you have to support your husband in this adventure of a lifetime. Your giving your children a gift they will one day look back on and thank you for. You might not be able to see the "big picture" but you know that BIG MAN upstairs and he has the plan all laid out! Keep in touch. BIG HUGS. Kati

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun so far, hope you enjoy the experience to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey kim & boys & mitch - this is aunt T (i'll be hitchhiking on anyone's sites, facebook, emails, whatever because i don't know anything about this stuff) loved your adventures - keep up on this, very comforting (even though, little crazy) love, love, love to all ---aunt teresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kim It's quite an adventure you're on but I have to say it's funny to read. The foot massages sound awesome between that and your sense of humor you'll be just fine! I will totally send you my measurements for clothes that's a definite perk! Zane will be writing to Andrew soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim, What a great idea to blog and keep all your friends and family informed of your adventures back here at home where the most exciting thing happening is the weather ......and gas prices. Sounds like you, Mitch and the kids will all come home as accomplished Chinese Culture experts. I'm especially interested in the custom-made clothing. How cool is that????? Looking forward to reading more.
    BJ

    ReplyDelete